Sunday, February 1, 2009

Go on, say it

I got a bunch of ARC's at Pizza and Pages on Thursday. What is it about advanced reading copies that makes my head spin? It's like just because it's beyond new, no one's going to see it, much less read it for months, these book have this siren call. I don't really understand. Especially because now, with a clear head on a Sunday evening, there seems nothing extraordinary about these books at all. All but one. But that one's special. It's my series. I know it's vapid and ridiculous, but compared with brain rot like The Elite or Gossip Girl or The A-List, I can honestly say that E. Lockheart's Ruby Oliver series is not that bad. In fact, it's fun. I know what you must be thinking---Lauren read a bubble-gum pink chicklit and call it fun? What the fuck?---but it is...leave it to those revolting rom coms (which I simply adore). They put you in the mood for the meet cute and happily ever after. Sometimes, it's quite nice to read a book without suicide or depression or excessive cursing or complicated plot lines. Sometimes it's quite nice to take a break from thinking for a while and just relax mentally as well as physically. So, day-of-rest-Sunday was a stunning success, much to the chagrin of my parents and homework. Oh well...I'll worry about that some other time because in the here and now, I can't honestly give a fuck.
I had my first guitar lesson on Saturday. It was a grand success! Of course I was awkward and terrible and odd noises came out of the guitar, but I had so much fun! Even with being repeatedly referred to as "Little One" by my teacher...Next week he's teaching us a song. Hurrah! Guitar was followed by a peek in Mood. SO COOL! So many different bolts of fabric and all sorts of colors and everything! I love it! Ten million times better than Joanne's and ten million times more expensive. But that's okay. I think I might just save all my money from now on and buy quality fabric instead. Even since Florence Fabrics closed, making things has been more of alterations and refashionings of ripped or stained vintage.
Oh, and I saw two movies:
1. The Pallbearer- labeled a comedy. It is not. Don't watch it. It's not even remotely funny.
2. My Sassy Girl- don't let the title fool you. This movie is amazing. It's a remake of a Korean film and it's SO cool. I am now in search of the original. See it.

No comments: